Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I read my water meter?

A: Please make sure all water is off and go to your meter. Before reaching in to the meter box, check carefully for insects or rodents. To read the meter, lift the cover and always replace the cover on your water meter when finished. Reading your water meter is similar to reading the odometer in your car. Read all the numbers from left to right that appear close to the center of the glass window. Please notice if your meter is turning any at all this could indicate a leak as well.

Q: As a customer, what portion of my water line is my responsibility?

A: The customer is responsible from the water meter to the house. LWA is responsible from the meter connection on the customer’s side of meter box back to the main line.

Q: When will my water meter be disconnected for non-payment?

A: The water service is subject to be disconnected for non-payment any time after the due date shown on the right side of your bill.

***Please notice the disconnection rules on bill***

Q: Why does my water look discolored, have sediment and/or particles in it?

A: Some possible causes of problems with water which appears discolored, or sediment/particles include:

•Sediments or pipe materials from breaks in water mains or hydrants. Water mains in the distribution system can fail due to age, corrosion, high pressure surges, or damage by construction work. Hydrants can also be broken off by vehicles.

•High flows can occur in water mains due to firefighting, water system tests, or maintenance. Unusual high-flow conditions can stir up sediment or scale from water mains.

•Construction activities: the customer’s service connection from the distribution main to the water meter is sometimes disturbed by construction activities of contractors or other utilities.

•Aging galvanized plumbing: rust particles or scale from galvanized steel home plumbing can also produce reddish-brown water or rust particles, particularly noticeable when a tap is first turned on.

Since there are many causes of discolored water, LWA investigates each complaint carefully. Please be prepared to answer the following questions when reporting this problem at (601)854-8729

What is the location of the premises where the discolored water occurred?

    1.  When was the discolored water first detected?
    2.  Is the water discolored at all faucets?
    3.  Are the particles large, small, or colored; does the water look milky or contain air?

The answers to these questions will assist us in finding the cause of the discolored water and may also suggest corrective steps to take. Our water operator and/or maintenance crew will respond to calls regarding water which appears to be discolored, or has foreign particles, within one business day.

Q: Why do I sometimes get cloudy water coming out of my faucets?

A: Cloudy water could be a result of dissolved air in the water, which is a common and harmless condition. To verify this, place the cloudy water in a glass and observe whether it clears from the bottom up (you may be left with bubbles on the side of the glass and a small surface layer of bubbles). If this occurs then you have dissolved air in the water.

Your first step is to open an outside faucet nearest the entry point of water into your house. When that clears up, open another faucet, preferably the bathtub and let it run for a few minutes. This process should take approximately 5-7 minutes. Many times cloudy water can be on the customer’s side and this should clear it up. If not, please contact us.

If the cloudy water persists, or if you are noticing unusual tastes or odors, please call 601/854/8729, and give us your address and a telephone number.

Q: What should I do when a Boil Water advisory is placed in my area?

A: You should boil your water vigorously for one minute prior to consumption until the boil advisory is lifted. This process usually takes 4-5 days or until the Health Department ensures that all samples taken are clean and are certain that water is safe for consumption.

Updates will be listed on our webpage regarding this issue as they are available